Monday, April 23, 2012

Puck on... Ownership


But let’s step back for a moment.  Since you’ve brokered the subject of salvation, I don’t want to leave it until we’ve fully discussed it.

You said that people had the right to give up their life.  To surrender it, if you will.  But in order to do that, wouldn’t it require that you owned yourself?  I mean, it’s quite meaningless, outright theft in fact, to give away something you don’t own, without permission.  So, if you have the right to give up your life, wouldn’t that mean you owned your life?

I suppose.

Then that begs the question: do people really own themselves?

I think I see where you’re going with this.

Do you now?  Then by all means, lead the way.

You’re trying to argue that people don’t have the right to give up their lives because they don’t own them.

Oh my.  Well, I really shouldn’t try slipping anything by you with some well-crafted logical ploy.  You are far too quick.  You’re right.  Of course, the question is: am I?

I don’t know.

Embrace the ignorance, boy.  Doesn’t it feel good?  Like throwing off a heavy burden.  But I digress.

Am I right?  Do people really not own themselves?  As we discussed before, as regards your rights, namely that you have none, people come into this world against their will.  Though, I guess not so much against as completely to the absence of their will.  It’s one thing, after all, to go against opinion, it’s another to not ask for one.  But, in any case, you come naked, and you leave the same.  You can’t control your entrance, does it not follow that you can’t control your exit, either?

But you said-

I said to accept death.  Acceptance isn’t the same as control.  Quite the opposite.  Acceptance typically means you recognize you have no control.

So what does this all mean for your supposition?  Is it really true that you can lay down your life?  What say you?

Somehow, I think the answer is more complicated.

Really?  We were making salvation sound so easy before.  I wonder what happened?

I don’t guess we own ourselves.

No, you don’t.  We do.

No comments:

Post a Comment