Sunday, March 11, 2012

Puck on... Chances


You don’t believe me?

I’m not sure.

A wise choice, but a stopgap measure more than anything.  You don’t believe I can do what I say I can.

A part of me… doesn’t wish to, I guess.

Ah, very honest, young one.  A very big part of you, I’d wager.  And why should it want to believe?  The outlook certainly isn’t very positive.  After all, if it’s true, what does that mean for you?

I don’t know.

An even wiser choice.  Embrace your ignorance, boy, it’s the only way you’ll learn.  Don’t worry, though, if I wanted to take you down, I never would have started this little endeavor.

So, what do you want with me?

A question for another time.  Right now, let’s focus on the real thrust of the matter before us.  I know you.  Better than you know yourself.  I know how to take you down.  Do you believe that?  Oh, but let’s not get too into that, too personal.  How about this?  You said that some would say that they would never break, no matter how hard I tried, right?

Yes.

Why do you think they would say that?

I suppose they think they can outlast you.

Of course, and why wouldn’t they.  I am a demon after all.  I must be some weak, deluded fool, traipsing about, taking in dullards and the like with my sad, sorry attempts at temptation.

If you put it that way-

It sounds very ridiculous, doesn’t it?  That’s what you all forget, most of the time.  If you bother to remind yourselves that you have an enemy at all, you do like to picture him as some simpering idiot, too deluded to realize he’s on the wrong side.  How little you understand.  But that’s to be expected.  It was the subject of our first conversation, wasn’t it?  How people are always so keen to dull and diminish the really evil.  Unknowing, blind to the real, sharp, deadly evil you are up against.  Who are the deluded ones, I should wonder?

Yes, they would doubt our abilities, and thus fall into the trap we have carefully laid for them.  I am a student of human nature.  I have studied your species since the days you stood naked on the surface of this world.   I have seen births and deaths beyond number, countless civilizations rise and fall.  You think now is so different?  You think you have something I haven’t seen before?  You are as predictable to me as you have ever been.  “There is nothing new under the sun.”

So, I ask you, how do you rate your chances?

No comments:

Post a Comment